Exactly one week after I was miserable and sick in Tana, last Saturday, I was again miserable and sick in Tana this Saturday. I had been able to do my work all through the week, ins spite of constant coughing and blowing my nose. I thought I had recovered and looked forward to a productive weekend with some fun social diversions. The antibiotics appeared to have killed the bacteria but now I think it’s a virus that is responsible for my upper respiratory misery as the new course of antibiotics seems without effect.

I had to cancel two social engagements: lunch with a friend of our neighbor from across Lobster Cove and the other a late afternoon barbecue at the house of our chief of party. Ughhh, I am so annoyed. I go from wanting to scream and breaking something to curling up in a ball and pitying myself.

I went out for lunch, a 40 meter walk outside the hotel. I was exhausted from the outing. I went back and took a nap and then got myself another massage in a different place, and a pedicure. Walking back I was exhausted from all the activity. I ate the remainder of my lunch, limp cold fries and the other half of an Italian Panini. I was too tired to go to the restaurant and eat there. Besides, I have now tried everything on the menu and it gets a bit boring. There are also some German guests, stuck because of the Air France strike> Once they discovered I was from Holland, they insisted on speaking German with me. This is a problem since I haven’t spoken German in decades. I can’t remember much of the complex grammar that one needs in order to make sentences.

The Air France strike, which I thought I’d miss, has now been extended to include my return date. I sent out an urgent message to our travel agent and hope she can re-route me. I am dreading the return trip but since I seem to be particularly allergic to Air France, the re-routing may be a blessing in disguise.

I have a long list of to-do’s on my hotel desk and had hoped to make a good dent in it. The priority is preparing next week, so we can finalize another workshop on Monday and be ready to pull it off Tuesday and Wednesday. Although I did make some progress, with difficulty, and am not as far along as I had hoped.  It is 7:30 PM and I am going to bed now, hoping that tomorrow I can take on the world again.

2 Responses to “Relapse”

  1. 1 Judith J. Haycock September 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm

    So sorry you are still struggling with health issues..always harder to do anything when not feeling well…hope you will return home SOON. We are having cool weather here, but forecast says it will warm up later today and tomorrow.
    Wishing you an uncomplicated return trip, hope you have another mask!!

  2. 2 svriesendorp September 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm

    Thanks Judy. I must admit I am beginning to wonder whether my body is telling me something and I should consider another career. But I love this work! Tomorrow I am going a medicine that someone (not a doctor) suggested me, a syrup. I am going to try it as I feel I have nothing to lose and all these consultations and drugs don’t seem to do a thing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

September 2014
« Aug   Oct »


Blog Stats

  • 119,631 hits

Recent Comments

Carol Sawyer on The end of a long run
Judy on The end of a long run
svriesendorp on Defaulting
Edith Maxwell on Defaulting
svriesendorp on Finally flu-felled

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 63 other followers

%d bloggers like this: