Testing – round 2

I joined the rest of my team in sunny Stellenbosch on Sunday morning and reviewed the materials for the second pilot of the training of trainers of the WHO Wheelchair Service Training packages.  Participants began to trickle in from Tanzania, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Burkina, Jordan, Canada and the US; twelve participants to learn how to train managers of rehabilitation services to either start, improve and/or expand wheelchair services.  Another group of nine learned to become trainers of intermediate wheelchair services (those that are for people whose bodies need to be supported in a wheelchair).

I joined my co-observer, the same as in Nairobi a few months ago, to see whether the improvements we had made after the first pilot, some months ago, were indeed improvements. We had two new trainers to deliver the package as per our instructions and it was them we were observing; one trainer from South Africa and another from Zimbabwe. It was a fabulous team of trainers and, by and large, of participants.

The training took place at the Western Cape Rehabilitation Centre, requiring a daily 45 minute shuttle between Stellenbosch and the center. Since it is located at the edge of Capetown in an area where one should not drive after dark, we were under considerable pressure to end the packed days in time so that we could debrief with the trainers and observers and share our learnings. We never managed to get out before dark.

As a result our days were very long, often arriving back at the hotel at 8PM or sometimes even later, having left the hotel in the morning at 7AM . After the two days of core training participants were given assignments to try out sessions from the management training to get a taste for the material and demonstrate the concepts taught the first two days.

They were quite anxious about the practice sessions. We offered to be available after hours, which sometimes meant till 10:30PM. Then there was the requirement, for us observers, to write our daily observation notes about each of the sessions every evening. I was always too tired, pushing the task ahead of me. And so the intense and long days from the previous week continued. When I filled in my timesheet for the two weeks (New York and Capetown) I had clocked 170 hours in a two week period that demands only 80 hours.

0 Responses to “Testing – round 2”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

June 2016
« May   Jul »


Blog Stats

  • 121,053 hits

Recent Comments

Natalie Gaul on A farewell to MSH
Chantelle on A farewell to MSH
Isabella Bates on A farewell to MSH
Sarah Malcolm on A farewell to MSH
Mariah Boyd-Boffa on A farewell to MSH

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 64 other followers

%d bloggers like this: